Kubernetes Helm, the package manager for Kubernetes, has released the 2.0.0 version of software. Helm 2 gives teams the tools to collaborate when creating, installing, and managing applications inside of Kubernetes.
With Helm you can…
- Find pre-packaged software (charts) to install and use
- Easily create and host your own packages
- Install packages into any Kubernetes cluster
- Query the cluster to see what packages are installed and running
- Update, delete, rollback, or view the history of installed packages
Helm includes two components: The Helm CLI tool, and an in-cluster release manager named Tiller. The Tiller component is responsible for tracking and managing installed packages.
Helm was the missing piece that enabled us to deploy our healthcare application to Kubernetes in a HIPAA-compliant way. It's also made our development/acceptance infrastructure much easier to manage. -- Sean Knox, Director of Engineering, Able Health