Deis v1.3 - Code Quality and Security Enhancements
The Deis project is proud to announce v1.3.0, which includes more ways to debug your cluster, code quality improvements to the controller and security enhancements to the builder.
Important: This release includes a CoreOS update for the CVE-2015-0235 glibc fix. All Deis users are encouraged to upgrade their host machines to CoreOS 522.6.0 or later.
If you are coming from an earlier version of Deis, please read the "Upgrading Deis" documentation for details.
What is Deis?
- The optional
deis-store-adminservice helps with Ceph troubleshooting
- builder disallows simultaneous
git pushon one app
- builder runs application builds as a non-root user
- controller REST views are updated and simplified
- controller consistently returns errors as JSON
- controller consistently returns 403 for permission errors
- Vagrant VMs default to 2GB, since less can lead to docker mem alloc errors
- Dockerfiles include
ENV DEIS_RELEASEto prevent overlap in
etcddiscovery URL uses the right key on GCE
- a Procfile can override a buildpack's
- controller tracks create and start separately for better error handling
- controller validates uploaded key material
- logger builds with
godep, like other Go components
- router has docs and
deisctlfixes for installing SSL
Under the Hood
- CoreOS updated to 522.6.0 stable
- controller bump API version to 1.1.2
- controller updated Django REST Framework to 3.0.3
- controller updated django-guardian to 1.2.5
- controller updated paramiko to 1.15.2
- controller updated python-dateutil to 2.4.0
- controller updated static wsgi library to 1.1.1
- slugbuilder updated heroku-buildpack-php to v57
For more details, please see CHANGELOG.md.
Application SSL Support
Thanks to community discussion and the efforts of @jparkerCAA in pull request 2570, application SSL support should land in Deis soon. What remains is an agreement on the formal specification following Heroku and an updated implementation. Once merged, users will be able to install custom private keys and SSL certificates to expose HTTPS applications using the Deis router.
Improved Test Infrastructure
We are in the process of planning another round of improvements to our test infrastructure. The goals are to speed our test suites, eliminate the build queue and increase coverage to include operational aspects like upgrades and HA.
New Container Scheduler
We are evaluating a new, resource-aware scheduler for application containers in the data plane to improve cluster efficiency at scale and to alleviate issues with cluster balancing after the loss of a node. Prototyping is ongoing with Mesos, Kubernetes, and Docker Swarm.
Deis will continue to support Fleet for both control plane and data plane scheduling for the foreseeable future.
We want to thank the following Deis community members for creating GitHub issues, providing support to others, and working on various Deis branches:
- @aledbf: user-data error in service debug-etcd.service, Proposal: publish master version every night to docker, Proposal: allow custom log level in components, REST errors question, feat(builder): disable simultaneous push in the same repository, fix(security): increase max conntrack connections, fix(builder): exit if an error occur compiling go, fix(database): update wal-e because error in python-daemon, feat(docker): add env DEIS_RELEASE, feat(slugbuilder): update nodejs buildpack to v64 (yoga release)
- @babarinde: Push Failure after Restoration of from Backup, CoreOS nodes not connected on GCE, fix (contrib/gce/create-gce-user-data): replace discovery_url with discovery
- @bfosberry: processes removed from Profile cannot be stopped, builder error - unexpected eof in archive
- @Blystad: request: Custom 502 error page on per-application basis, ref(builder): Remove use of root in gitreceive, feat(controller): add hostname exposing to units, feat(contrib/ec2): Set ELB timeout to 1200s
- @daemonza: Cannot pull image - tag not found
- @glogiotatidis: s3cmd fails to copy registry, docs(managing_deis): Typo fix., feat(client): Add controller to whoami command.
- @ianblenke: deis-controller generated fleet units should [X-Fleet] Conflicts with the others of the same app
- @iansmith: surprising effect of changing from go-buildpack to Dockerfile
- @jannispl: cluster is working, but filling logs with confd errors
- @jetole: deis blocks domain creation under improper circumstances
- @jgmize: docs(system-requirements): Fix broken link
- @Jim-Holmstroem: fix(contrib/coreos) etdcdrequesttimeout value type
- @johanneswuerbach: aws: consider reverting to instance storage
- @karlo57: Waiting for ceph gateway
- @marzolfb: All the given peers are not reachable
- @mcano: feat(client): add flag to disable SSL certificate verification
- @mgartner: AWS instances being terminated by autoscaling group, ceph-osd using utilizing 20-50% CPU continuously, AWS autoscaler terminated then restarted node - how to get cluster back to normal?
- @mhahn: config value escaping
- @mvgijssel: Using deployment keys for private repositories with deis builder
- @nagliyvred: Unable to add a node to a cluster or restart an existing one (GCE)
- @nathansamson: Feature: Allow System & Application monitoring based on Graphite
- @ngpestelos: Key not found (/deis/logs), etcd: inconsistent value for /deis/registry/host, builder: unable to restart builder if cedarish fails to download, deis-controller too many clients, How to handle a host running out of space, git push is rejected after upgrading builder, fix(database): increases max_connections to 250, chore(controller): Fix typo on README.md
- @prateek121: Deis Registration failed
- @rjocoleman: Proposal: Self updating Deis CLI
- @romansergey: fix(controller): adds migration to get rid of dockerfile's u'False' valu...
- @SkyWriter: Adding process to the Procfile does not create it
- @suquant: Database service recognition failed (boto timeout)
- @synaptics: Custom HTTP request headers not being passed in to web app (v1.2.1)
- @theaboutbox: docs(ec2): Document updateec2cluster.sh
- @timfpark: No Procfile -> obscure failure error
- @withinboredom: Unable to perform deis push, deis builder service hung in activating/start-post (failure retrieving image), Uninstall Platform leaves email@example.com hanging around, Deis hangs in launching state though launced successfully, Unable to register
- @xishuixixia: Chinese Version of Deis Documentation
The Deis community continues to grow, and Deis wouldn't be here without you! If we slighted your contribution to this release, please let us know so we can update.
How can you help?
- Star our GitHub repository
- Help spread the word about @opendeis on Twitter
- Join the conversation in the #deis channel on Freenode
- Pick an easy-fix or help wanted issue and start contributing!
Learn about other ways to get involved on our website.